The Piece, Love and Ice cream photoshoot

In May I got the opportunity to do the styling for singer Sandy Dane. Sandy is a beautiful and sweet girl with a voice like an angel! She just signed a contract at Sony BMG. This month her first single was officially released in Holland, it is called: Piece, Love and Ice cream. A really dreamy, beautiful song about looking back on the good days of summer. Sony needed photo’s for the cover of the single so they wanted to arrange a photoshoot but Sandy prefered to arrange this shoot herselves because she was afraid they wanted to picture her very commercial and too sexy. She is lucky her friend is Bianca de Jong, the photographer I worked with for the Dark Fairytale shoot. So Bianca asked me for the styling! Nice nice! Sony instructed me they wanted Bohochic, so Bohochic they get!

The week before the shoot I went to a PR agency in Amsterdam with Bianca to look for some clothing with a bohemian chique flavour. But they didn’t really had the type of clothing I was looking for! They only had brands like Esprit etc... too casual! It was a really sunny day so it wasn’t too bad we couldn’t find anything at the PR agency, we just relaxed on the terrace of Bagels and Beans ;) Here you can see Bianca eating her delicious bagel with banana and cinnamon.

The shoot took place on the beach of Zandvoort because Sandy’s parents have a nice beach house over there and because there are a lot dreamy places on the beach on sunset that reflect the ambiance of the song. My dad was so sweet to drive me to Zandvoort and help me carry my big suitcases filled with clothing, shoes and accessories. After dad left we could start! We were with a big team: Sandy as our model, Sandy’s manager Bart, Another person from Sony(sorry forgot name), Bianca the photographer, Corné assistant photographer, Corinne the make-up artist, and me as stylist. The weather wasn’t perfect but at least it didn’t rain!

At the end of the day we did five shots so five different outfit challenges for me ;) Bianca chose four different shots because one just didn’t work. It was Sandy sitting on a swing on the beach with a salmon pink vintage dress with a big flower waistbelt. So here are the shots that Bianca did choose....

Then we had to wait a while if Sony liked the photo's or not and if they wanted to buy them or arrange a shoot by themselves... I guess we did a good job because Sony bought them! Although they bought it Bianca told me they didn't liked the styling at all, it was too much country for them and not Bohochic like they had in mind. I don't care, I like it myself and I'm proud of the result :) In my opinion it is just fashion and not country. And I'm glad Sandy liked it! That is where this shoot was all about :) Now I was really curious which one they were going to use for the CD cover..

Voila! Not my choice though .. I prefered the one with the fringes dress or with the lila floral dress, much more Peace, Love and Ice Cream. But that is ofcourse too much Merle Hagard or Willie Nelson. The photo also appeared on the website and the flyer from Peace in the Park (an event from Ben & Jerry's). The Peace, Love and Ice cream song is written for B&J, that's why.
So how do you like the photo's and which one would you choose for the cover of her single? I'm really curious!

15 opmerkingen:

  1. Mooie foto's! Ik vind de styling wel erg mooi! Laat die platenmaatschappij zich nou maar bezig houden met de muziek, dan is de styling voor de styliste :P

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Congrats, you did an amazing job! It doesn't look country at all. the Sony execs must be on crack. The fringe dress is my favourite as well. I love the earrings you paired it with.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thanks a lot Yulanda!
    hahaha you are right, but maybe they will hire me again for their country artists :p

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Pff die mensen van Sony weten gewoon niet wat bohochic is volgens mij ;). You did an amazing job!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. De foto die hun gekozen hebben met die oranje ketting is echt geweldig. Het is echt niet country hoor! Mja ik bedoel wat voor verstand hebben mensen die bij Sony werken nou van mode? Wel cool dat ze je voor zoiets hebben gevraagd trouwens!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. Wat een super gelegenheid, echt heel leuk. de foto's zien er echt leuk uit.
    Ik zou gekozen hebben voor de foto's met de gebloemde vintage jurk.
    Heel mooi gedaan!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. Zoo gaaf! Het lijkt me helemaal geweldig om eens te doen!
    Ik zou absoluut voor één van de foto's met de 'floraldress' gaan. Past beter bij het thema en ziet er heel zacht en lief uit.

    Well done, girl! ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  8. De floraldress - de linkse foto van het eerste duo. Daar is ze zo kwetsbaar op. Echt mooi.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  9. Dankjulliewel!! Jullie zijn schatten :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  10. hi! i accidentally stumbled upon your blog and i totally NEED that blue dress with the stars and fringe! where did you find it if you dont mind me asking? what a fabulous choice of yours!!!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  11. Hi :)
    It's a vintage dress, but maybe I'm selling it soon in my webshop!
    www.froufrous.nl

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  12. I like photo were she wears fringes dress most of all

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen